Mělník is situated in a beautiful surrounding countryside over an argillite hill. The town is overlooking the confluence of the river Vltava and the river Elbe (Labe), right opposite the mythological Říp mountain. Mělník is also known by its magnificent history and many remarkable sights.
The first records of Mělník as a city come form 1247, from a privilege granted by King Přemysl Otakar II., which regulated the share in the profits from trade on the river Elbe. Since the 10th century the area has been connected with the history and development of the Czech country and state. It belonged among the oldest prince’s and later king’s dowry towns, and the wives of Bohemian dukes and kings used to have their residences there.
A dominant landmark of the city, which can be seen from far away, is the castle with the adjoining St.Peter and St.Paul Cathedral. The present shape of the castle is a result of gradual reconstruction from the original Romanesque castle. From the time of Gothic reconstruction St. Ludmila Chapel has been preserved, as well as the entrance gate and the remnants of a staircase tower.