The castle is located in the centre of the town on the left bank of Tichá Orlice. It was built as a baroque object by Zikmund from Selmberk on Kost and Mrač in 1562, replacing perhaps an older fort. It was built as a one-storey building. In 1574, the reconstruction of the castle began which was finished in 1587-1599 as a four-wing building with a rectangular courtyard, probably without arcades. The building has kept this layout to our days.
In the 17th century, owners of the castle and the estate quickly changed. In 1709, the Kinský family bought the estate and the castle from Antonín Trautmannsdorf. At that time, the castle was repaired from damages left by the thirty-year war and after the fire in 1829 the castle got new classicist facades. In 1849-1850, the east wing of the castle was rebuild according to plans of B. Stach. The pseudo-gothic castle chapel 'Ascendance of Virgin Mary' was built then which makes up the entrance to the castle.
At present, the castle is after reconstruction and it is owned by the state. Orlické museum and Elementary art school is located there. Opposite the castle, there is the former centre of princely farm offices and the former brewery from the middle of the 19th century.
Adresse: Choceň, Pardubická 1, 565 01
Tel: +420 465 471 624